Covered California Open Enrollment
November 15, 2016 8:00 AM –5:00 AM
Individuals who purchase insurance through California's new Health Marketplace, Covered California, can see any Beaver Medical Group doctor if they choose a Health Net or Blue Shield plan.
Beaver Medical Group is contracted only with the Health Net and Blue Shield plans offered through Covered California. The medical group doctors will not accept any of the other plans offered through Covered California.
Covered California, the State health care marketplace put into place as a result of the federal Affordable Care Act, offers health plans to all Californians needing insurance
Facts about the new Health Marketplace:
- Open Enrollment for 2017 is now through January 31, 2017. If you do not enroll during this period, you will not be assured a health plan will cover you. If you want coverage beginning January 1, sign up by December 15th
- All Californians can qualify for insurance. People with pre-existing conditions will be accepted, at no additional charge.
- People on Medicare cannot choose plans on the new marketplace. Many Medicare Advantage and PPO plans are available for Medicare beneficiaries.
- There are 3 financial assistance programs to buy insurance at Covered California based on income:
- Premium assistance
- Cost-sharing subsidies to reduce deductibles & co-pays
- More people to qualify for Medi-Cal
- A cost calculator that includes financial assistance information is available at www.coveredca.com
- Options to enroll are:
- Through Covered California at www.coveredca.com or 800-300-1506.
- Through HealthNet or Blue Shield Directly
- Calling a local insurance agent certified by Covered California. A few local partners include: Hub International: (909) 793-2373, George Litchfield: (909) 792-3300, Dave Nash: (909) 792-4410 and Barich and Associations: (909) 793-0385
- Different levels of plans are available. They offer co-pays at different rates per each type of plan, depending on the monthly premium cost. Basically, the higher the monthly premium you pay, the lower the co-pays and deductibles will be.
- There will be a tax penalty for not having insurance: However, some individuals may be exempt from paying a penalty. Learn more at www.coveredca.com
- If you have a life-changing event such as the loss of a job, death of a spouse or birth of a child, you would be eligible for special enrollment period within 60 days of the event.